Saturday, March 29, 2008

If this is all I have to complain about, things are pretty sweet

Yesterday was one of those days where nothing could go right. We were all set to check out of our room and be on a bus by midday. But things didn´t work out that way. First of all we wanted to buy some T-shirts, but after 15 minutes figured their eftpos machine wouldn´t work and we would have to come back in an hour. Then the next shop we went into processed our payment, but were´nt sure if it had actually gone through and spent at least half an hour calling the boss, calling the bank, finding access codes and finally putting it through again. Then we went to send these shirts back to Australia, but they wouldn´t let us use Hanks FedEx account without a written authorisation on company letterhead. When we finally got back to the hostel to get our bags they tried to tell us that we had to pay for our last night there. There was no way they could check their records, even though it´s all computerised- just because someone didn´t write it down in the book. A couple of days before we had made friends with the owner of the place, but he wasn´t there to save us now, so this time we spent close to an hour sitting there saying " We paid" and them saying "No you didn´t" until finally they just let us go.

After all this kerfufull I didn´t feel I had time to go to the toilet, so we caught a cab straight to the bus station, but then got straight on to the bus, and although we were heading to a place called Baños (Spanish for toilet) they didn´t have one on the bus, and my pack wouldn´t fit on the overhead luggage rack so I had to have it on my lap, pushing against my bursting bladder, for a two and a bit hour journey. I thought I was just going to have to piss my pants there and then. But by some miracle I made it to the bus terminal in Ambato, where we changed buses, and caused a little confusion in trying to find the toilet and the right bus to get on in the same conversation.

It all seemed worth it though when we rounded a corner and saw the Tungurahua Volcano spewing smoke happily above the town. I actually got a good photo out of the bus window, so I´ll put it up soon. So now we are in the happy spa town of Baños staying in a $12 hotel, so much better that the one we were staying in in Quito for $15, and it has the best shower I have experienced in South America!

1 comment:

suez said...

heee you made me laugh with the full bladder story.Love to read about the adventures.Maybe I can show this one to the girls at work...