Sunday, March 05, 2006

One day they were just like you

Recently we've been thinking a lot about getting older. Celebrities in all fields seem to be younger than us. Movie stars, pop stars, sports stars. People like beauty therapists and stylist, retailers and business owners. When we go out we see all the young things high on life, and plenty of other things too. What have we got to show for ourselves so far? A lot of liver damage and a few memories, though we've lost a few of them too. It's not to say that I regret any decisions I've made, but the world seems to be catching up to me quicker than I'd hoped.

Last night though, when I was out living the pure life of no drugs, alcohol, meat or dairy, I started chatting to this guy, turned out he grew up nearby and knew some people who went to my school. He asked me what year I graduated, and I knew it wasn't going to be too pretty when we figured out how much older he was than me, so I turned the question straight back on him first so I knew exactly where I stood. But I was in no way prepared when his answer was'87!
That was the year I started primary school!!!! I know it was rude, but all I could do was laugh.
The point is though, he was trashed, having a great time rockin' out to some old school power pop (the emphasis being on power) in the form of the Posies at the Hi Fi. It puts it into a bit more perspective when you hang out with a guy who's 35. I don't think there's too much need to change things from the way they are now.
This is all just probably the detox talking anyway. I won't feel so introspective when I'm off the wagon.

No comments: